Choosing the right flooring kind can add aesthetics and value to a residential or commercial space. Wooden flooring gets used in luxurious residential projects because it is extremely expensive. Today, majority of homeowners prefer marble or tile flooring. Wooden flooring cost is initially high, but its pros will outweigh this costly price tag.
First let’s get familiar with the wooden flooring types, wood floor installation, as well as its pros and cons.
- Hardwood flooring
Hardwood flooring can expand 30% more than its counterparts [engineered wood], so it is thoroughly seasoned to allow such expansion. The solid wood surface is coated seven times with formaldehyde acrylic lacquer, UV-cured, which makes it dust-free, stain-free, and scratch-resistant. Solid wooden flooring is of three types – Strip, Plank, and Parquet flooring.
- Engineered wood flooring
Several layers are combined and the top layer is designed from real hardwood. The other layers are of spruce and pine. This allows engineered flooring to handle the moisture and fluctuating temperatures with ease. You get engineered wooden floors in a variety of colors.
- Laminate wood flooring
You get the feel of a real wooden floor with laminate flooring. It is a blend of layers, which offer durability and moisture resistance. Besides, HD pictures of natural wooden flooring are used to design laminate flooring. The finishing is done with an extremely strong and clear coating designed from resin-coated cellulose material. It protects the laminate from impacts and extends its lifespan. You get a low maintenance and cost flooring that resembles wood flooring.
The installation of wooden flooring depends on the type chosen. Flooring Domain is an online platform, where the flooring companies and contractors along with related experts in Australia reside. You can check our website to post your project needs and find a suitable contractor near your locality. The installation methods you will get recommended are –
- Nail down
- Staple down
- Glue down
- Floating process
Therefore, the installation cost will differ as the methods to use will depend on the wood type you choose.
Pros of wooden flooring
- Aesthetic appeal and value of a room increases. Wooden flooring blends easily with every kind of interiors.
- Wood is a great insulation material, so you can step on the floor with bare feet.
- Less maintenance when compared to tiling.
- As wooden flooring ages, it enhances its grace.
- It is long-lasting and small damages can get easily repaired.
- Indoor air quality remains healthy.
Cons of wooden flooring
- Solid wooden flooring cost comes with a price tag but you can opt for the affordable option laminate flooring.
- Frequent polishing is used in a busy foot area.
- Prone to attack from termites so needs preventive maintenance against termites regularly.
- Stagnant water pooling is bad but mopping is allowed for surface cleaning.
- Never drag heavy objects like the floor can get scratches all across.
Wooden flooring tips
- Avoid solid wooden flooring in bathroom and kitchen areas because it is vulnerable to excessive water exposure. On the other hand, you can use a laminated or engineered flooring type.
- Hardwood flooring makes the space look elegant and luxurious, so use it in the living room or bedroom.