When you are a business owner employing people, you must follow the rules and regulations and ensure you provide a suitable working environment. You will need to consider many things when building new office space for your business and taking care of your employee’s needs is a requirement you must fill. Below you can find some of the rules governing the facilities you must provide for your workers to help you plan your new space and ensure it complies with the law.
Providing Toilets For Your Employees
When you provide a permanent structure for your employees to work in, you must also ensure there are adequate toilet facilities for everyone. You will need to provide separate facilities for men and women unless each convenience is a separate room, and you can lock them from the inside. The more people you have working for you, the more toilet facilities you need to supply, and the guidelines are as follows for how many toilets and washbasins you will require for mixed use.
- 1-5 Employees – When you have between one and five employees, you must provide at least one toilet and one washbasin.
- 6-25 Employees – When you are employing between six and 25 employees, you need to have a minimum of two toilets and two washbasins.
- 26-50 Employees – If you have between 26 and 50 employees, you will need to ensure you have at least three toilets and three washbasins.
- 51-75 Employees – If you have between 51 and 75 employees, you will require at least four toilets and four washbasins.
- 76-100 Employees – When you have between 76 and 100 employees, you will need to provide at least five toilets and washbasins for your employees.
Toilets For Men Only
The rules are slightly different if you only have men working at your company. The requirements are a bit lower if this is the case, and the rules state you will need the following for male employees only:
- 1-15 Male Employees – If you have between one and fifteen male employees, you will need one toilet cubicle and one urinal.
- 16-30 Male Employees – When you have between 16 and 30 male employees, you will need to provide them with at least two toilet cubicles and one urinal.
- 31-45 Male Employees – When you have between 31 and 45 male employees, they will need two toilet cubicles and two urinals.
- 46-60 Male Employees – For between 46 and 60 male employees you need to provide three toilet cubicles and two urinals.
- 61-75 Male Employees – For between 61 and 75 male employees you need to provide three toilet cubicles and three urinals.
- 76-90 Male Employees – For between 76 and 90 male employees you need to provide four toilet cubicles and three urinals.
- 91-100 Male Employees – For between 61 and 75 male employees you need to provide four toilet cubicles and four urinals.
You may need to also provide shower facilities depending on the type of work your company does, and you will also need to ensure you have adequate disabled facilities. For more information on the toilet requirements, you need to provide your workers, please click here.