By Stryctnin; PSHG team writer
PSN trophies have become bragging rights, maybe even an addiction for the people who collect them. It’s proof that you took the time to complete a game 100%. The debate, however, is are trophies worth it. Do they take away from the game? Do they add to the game? What’s the fun of playing a game just to get the trophies?
I’ve been a trophy hunter now for over a year. I have 35 platinums, 171 gold, 573 silver, 1926 bronze, 2705 all in total and am level 18. I used to think that trophy collecting was a waste of time and just wanted to play a game to have fun. But then I found collecting trophies brought me and my wife together closer. Luckily for me I have a wife that likes to play games. So we started renting from Gamefly to help boost our ranking up. The thing is that people will always have their own opinions on trophy collecting, whether they like it or not, it will always be debatable. Much like it is debatable on why stay in Home all the time and not use your PS3 to play a game. What it basically comes down to it is what people want to do, if it makes you happy then do it.
With that said I decided to cancel my Gamefly account and to just play the games that I really enjoy to play and strive to platinum them instead of renting a game that I don’t really want to play. Which has become the problem for me with collecting trophies. Quantity over Quality. Now I’m feeling more like Quality over Quantity. Trust me, I’ve played some pretty bad games…some so bad I’ve had to send them back to Gamefly. So bad I didn’t care if it was an easy platinum or not.
So I decided to list off 10 games that I think are very easy to platinum for those out there that are looking to boost their trophy count.
01. Megamind - By far the easiest game I could ever think of to platinum. In fact, you can easily finish this and platinum it in 4 hours or less depending on how well you are with games. This game has 26 trophies – (1, 7, 8, 10). Basically, start the game and just play through it. When you complete each chapter you will get a trophy. When you defeat the boss for each chapter without dying you will get a trophy, and that is very, very, very easy. Pick up every blue orb known as B.I.N.K.E.Y. and you’ll get trophies, they are everywhere, in everything you break and every enemy you defeat. There are no collectibles to search for, no time limits to deal with and no multiplayer. Even the weakest of gamers could platinum this game without trying.
02. CSI : Fatal Conspiracy – The only thing fatal about this game is that it was actually made. Don’t get me wrong, I love CSI, the original series, not NY or Miami as much. The hardest thing about this game is it will bore you to sleep. If you can stay awake long enough you could probably platinum this. It has 26 trophies - (17 12 6 ). It takes at least 10 hours to platinum this if you have done everything you can do in each chapter. My advice is to look at everything, click on everything, examine it and use your forensic tools on it. Each chapter will take you about 2 hours to complete. Seriously, though, the best thing to do is use a thorough walkthrough. Though I usually use PS3Trophies.org, this one was the more detailed and helped out a lot : http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/showwiki.php?title=CSI:-Fatal-Conspiracy-Trophy-Guide
03. Spare Parts - This game isn’t a bad game at all. It’s a downloadable game from the PSN store and surprisingly it had a platinum with it for only $9.99, but, I think I purchased mine through the PS Plus program for only 5 bucks. It only has 13 trophies but it is a very short and easy game. (1 ,2, 10 ). Yeah, that’s right, 10 gold trophies. This is a trophy whores orgasm, a must have for all trophy hunters. Simply play through the game starting with the tutorial, don’t worry about collecting the ship parts right away because you will have to come back to them anyways when you have the correct gadget. After you beat the game then go back and get all the ship parts you missed. The worst part about this game is grinding for the Bling Bot trophy, the easiest way to do this is go to Jungle Approach Zone 1 and run through it. Scan everything before you break it, it gives you extra coins. When you reach the end of the level, the level is very short and it ends when you push in two stones and go through the gate. Don’t exit the level, instead run back to the cave…hopefully you know what I’m talking about by this time, if not, there is a cave you need to hit a rock to break open in the middle of the level, not too far from the end. Just enter that cave, kill the things in there, because they have re-spawned and exit the cave, all the enemies have re-spawned there as well. Continue to do this till you hear the trophy ding, then you can go and purchase all that you need to purchase to finish up the last of the trophies and your platinum will pop. Actually, this game is pretty fun…just really, really short.
04. Hannah Montana – This is the holy grail for trophy hunters. Everyone who wants to collect trophies has desired this one for whatever reason. It is a fast and easy platinum to obtain…however, it’s name demands ridicule and laughter from your peers if they see you playing it. I do have the platinum for this, rented it from GameFly, and I had a secret weapon – my wife played it for me…offline of course so no one would see it. If, and only if you can stomach the horrible songs you will have to hear over and over again, then you may enjoy this. But, if the horrible songs don’t bring you down, then maybe the terrible dialogue, the awful graphics and crap-tastic repetitive games will. Seriously, this is for the strongest of the trophy hunters, hell, even I couldn’t take it. I had to leave the room while my wife played it. That one song “Hoedown Throwdown” would win wars if blasted over the cities of our enemies, they would either surrender or turn the guns on themselves. Anyway, this has 43 trophies (1 , 4 , 8 , 30 ). And you should platinum it in 3.5 hours…if not you really suck and should stop gaming.
05. Burnout Paradise - Ah, this is redemption after talking about that last abomination. I don’t normally play racing games but this is no ordinary racing game. This has an arcade, free roam style to it. The crashes are the main course of the game but over time, after playing for a while, become very annoying as they are slowed down and you are agonizingly forced to watch them. Getting the Platinum for this game will require at least 25 hours of game play and with all the downloadable content there are a whopping 98 trophies (1 4 28 65). However, you only need to earn 51 to get the Platinum. Plus, you get 13 free trophies from the free DLC packs; Cagney Update and Bikes Pack. So without buying any DLC you will have a total of 64 trophies. The first goal you should shoot for is getting your Class A drivers license. You get your license upgraded by winning the various types of races available throughout the city. They do become increasingly more difficult the higher level you are…but nothing too complicated. If you can’t win one type of race then find another that suits you. Now, the best part of this game is driving around with your friends, which you have to do for the online trophies. This is one of the most fun games to try to Platinum and if you need any help with any trophy remember to check out www.ps3trophies.org and this for a map of the entire city which will be helpful if you missed anything http://www.senocular.com/burnout/.
06. Terminator Salvation - This hunk of smooth crap can get you a Platinum in not much more than 6 hours. But, this Terminator is so broke it could only afford 12 trophies (1 ,11). Yes, 11 gold, with 9 of them just meandering through the chapters and the other two for beating it on medium and on hard. So, just beat the thing on hard so you don’t have to play through it again and you’ll be thankful you only did it once. Duck, cover, shoot and, the most important thing, flank.
07. Up! – This is a straight forward, easy game to Platinum and it should take you not much more than 4 hours to finish up. The only thing you’ll be wondering is how the hell are they walking through the jungle with a house floating in the air that is tied to their waists. It has 43 trophies; (1 ,4 ,5 ,33). Remember to just break everything and not rush through because you will miss collectibles.
08. Trivial Pursuit - This should take around 7 hours to Platinum and it has 45 trophies : (1 ,2 ,14 ,28. Not much can be said about it, if you know how to play this classic game then it’s all pretty self-explanatory. Just start-up a game and set all four players to one controller, that way you can control all players. But, the true player one is the one that will be unlocking the trophies.
09. Hasbro Family Game Night - Just casually playing each game by yourself or with a friend you should be able to get all the trophies in a fair amount of time. However, you can rush through it and get it all done in 5 hours. Simply look at the description of the trophy you need and make sure you do it in that particular game. Such as win 20 games of Battleship. Easy. There are 30 trophies and they are : (1 ,6 ,11 ,12)
10. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection – This brings back a lot of memories. My favorite system when I was growing up was the Sega Genesis and most of these games on this collection I owned and beat. So, this was a must have in my trophy collection. There are 40 games and 9 locked games that you earn by doing certain tasks in some of the unlocked games. You can also unlock interviews with the original developers. Both unlocking the developers and extra games are trophies. The things you need to do in each game to get a trophy to unlock are all mostly very simple such as Communication is Key which you load up the Ecco the Dolphin game and swim till you find another dolphin and talk to them. The ones that can be a total pain in the ass are :
|Flicky: Collect 80,000 points|
|Dr. Robotnik’s M.B.M.: Complete the game|
|Easy as Pie|
|Columns: Get 20,000 points only on Easy Mode|
These three took the most amount of time and the most amount of tries and by far, the hardest one of them, is completing that Tetris-like game Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine. There are 36 trophies to collect in here and they are ( 1 4,13,18).
Wanna know what I think are the insane hardest games to platinum? You can read that here: *Includes a special write-up from Hakoom. http://pshomegazette.com/2012/01/19/top-ten-hardest-games-to-platinum/?preview=true&preview_id=14527&preview_nonce=a12090825a Or, if you want to know 10 more games I think are easiest to platinum then click on this link: http://pshomegazette.com/2012/07/26/10-more-easy-games-to-platinum/